By the way, for anyone that wants to keep up with the Texas Abortion bill (or just Texas Politics in general), the Texas Tribune is a great place to go. They were the single greatest resource I had when I was in my Texas Politics class and they always have good coverage.
Those guys in the picture are private paramilitary, not police
However, there were nearly 50 arrested at a peaceful women’s rights rally, and there were a LARGE number of riot police, disgusting.
Following in old GOP scare tactics (see: Bush, George W), Rick Santorum insinuated that getting an abortion increases a woman’s risk to get breast cancer, when asked if he agreed with the Susan G. Komen Foundation’s decision to reverse stripping funding to Planned Parenthood.
This is a false claim that has been made by Conservative politicians for the better part of a decade, including a very prominent incident in which the Bush administration altered the National Cancer Institute’s website to say there was a link between abortion and breast cancer. The NCI has said that, “studies consistently showed no association between induced and spontaneous abortions and breast cancer risk.”
Totally worth reblogging. Makes all pro-choice arguments seem foolish…
What about young mothers? Girls who aren’t ready to be a mom? The girls who will put their baby in the garbage can if they don’t abort it? The girls who use their babies to buy drugs and stuff? The girls who die in child birth because of a health issue, but they didn’t abort because people who don’t understand are making it illegal for them to get one. Even if it kills them. I say choose life if you want to choose life. If it’s best for you. But if you feel like you need to have an abortion, like it’s the best option for you, then do it. I would rather have doctors giving idiots abortions so that the people who need it have it, rather than have them all doing back yard abortions with a coat hanger, and possibly killing them self in the process.
Yeah, because not restricting women and using logic is foolish.
Advocating safe abortions so women don’t have to die getting unsafe ones in the case that she WANTS an abortion is foolish. Right.
Because, you know nothing says “Pro life” like dead mothers who leave either a dead fetus or an orphaned child. We all know that orphanages are forgiving and not having issues with races of children not being desired for adoptions or anything.
Because telling someone else what they can do with their own fucking body is foolish.
Because thinking a woman’s uterus is nothing more than property for old white men to control is okay.
Ummmm, are you fucking stupid? ^
The purpose of abortion was to wipe out the black race, so if anything, abortion being legal makes the womb property for white men to control. No, the world isn’t perfect, and yes there is discrimination, but i don’t understand how that means a child deserves to die, much less how it gives a mother the “right” to kill it.
Also, if you’re not ready to be a mother, DONT HAVE SEX. It’s as simple as that. because it’s always a possibility. if you plan to have sex and don’t expect the chance of pregnancy, the you’re fucking stupid. and your stupidity is no reason to punish the baby. it didn’t do anything.
If a woman is raped, killing the baby will only worsen the trauma. This is a known and well observed psychological response. When women are raped and a baby is produced, 99% of the time, having the baby helps the woman to overcome the trauma of the rape. when they abort it, they no longer feel as though they are only the victim. they also feel guilty for victimizing another human being (more importantly, their own child) as a result.
As far as death during childbirth goes. one must take into account that a good end cannot be used to justify a bad means. Taking the life of the baby, though possibly life-saving to the mother, reaches this good by way of a bad means which makes the good, consquently, bad.
If abortion is legal. Women have choice. Meaning their body is theirs.
If abortion is illegal. Women cannot dictate what they do because of other people.
I fail to see how abortion being legal gives the government more power over women when the point of denying abortion is to limit a woman’s options.
I also fail to see how forcing a victim of rape to have a child they obviously did not intend to have implanted into them is conducive to their financial or mental well being.
Get your psuedo-intellectualism out of here.
Also, some statistics from the World Health Organization’s research on abortion.
- 70,000 women die every year from around the world due to unsafe abortion
- 220,000 kids are left behind when their mothers die
- 61% of women seeking abortions are already mothers
- 54% of women seeking abortions were using some form of contraception
- 30% of those who weren’t using contraception (approx) had concerns about it. Such as latex allergies, blood clot risk due to genes or being a smoker of over 35. Or from some made up bullshit that the antichoice/abstinence-only education system likes to tell people like; it causes infertility, or cancer etc.
- 30% (again approx) of those not using contraception, were told they couldn’t get pregnant. So they had their tubes tied, their partners had vasectomies, or straight up were infertile.
- 8% only, had never used contraception at all. The remaining percentages you’d have to look up as I don’t have exact numbers off hand for this particular fact about not using contraception.
- 69% of couples who are married/in long term relationships never want kids and yet despite their best efforts fall pregnant.
- 500,000 kids are in need of adoption currently across the US.
- Gay marriage restrictions and gay adoption restrictions make those kids in need of adoption more likely to “age out” of the system with no parents at all.
- 98% of abortions are done by the 12th week.
- Fetuses can’t feel anything until 26 weeks. They are also non-sentient, as in not self-aware.
- The majority of late-term abortions are wanted pregnancies but due to health or life risks for the mother or fetus, the pregnancy cannot be carried to term.
- Ectopic pregnancies are when the fertilized egg implants inside the fallopian tube and doesn’t move down to the uterus. They can cause severe hemorrhaging and thus death.
- Abortion exceptions for rape or incest proves that the anti-choice is not about saving the life of the fetus, but that it wants to punish women who have consensual sex.
- Abolishing abortion (as in making it illegal) WILL NOT STOP ABORTION. It makes women seek unsafe options which kills them.
And even if abortion was about stopping African Americans from having children, it is now solely an issue of telling women that “No, you are not allowed to do what you want because fuck yeah Jesus/misogyny/ privilege.”
Last line you wrote hurts my head even more. A Fetus is not a baby. It cannot feel. It does not give a fuck because it cannot. And the late term pregnancy cancellations are due to complications where the child would die anyway and the mother’s well being is at risk.
In case you need more facts backed up with actual research:
Badass Dom is Badass.
Last month one man was judicially tried, convicted and sentenced to death by lethal injection also known as the death penalty. The death penalty has been outlawed in several states including…
Can we stop with the whole “LOLOLOL BUT ABORTIONS ARE THE SAME.”
There’s a huge difference between a government killing its own citizens as “retribution” for the death of another and a woman’s right to choose what to do with her body.
There’s also a huge difference between a full grown man and a clump of cells.
How is it that one death, as wrongful as it was, can cause such a hooplah. Which no doubt will be over as quickly as it started…. Yet everyday babies are aborted and we are silent? There it’s a whole generation dying…. And the community is doing nothing
[Image: A picture of a piece of artwork. It is a white canvass with the text “We <3 Abortion” printed consecutively down the canvass twelve times.]
Whoa whoa whoa, I understand this as art and the message and all that jazz, but isn’t this the preception that Pro-choicers have been fightign for years?
The thought that just because we want abortions to be a safe and legal option for those women who wish to have one that we automatically love abortions and think everyone should have one.
No. Not true at all. Stop it. You’re only helping the other side’s cause.